According to Robb Report, an ambitious new Mexican food and art festival, that is expected to become an annual event, will be launched July 13-16, 2017 in San Miguel de Allende, announced Bruce James, director of Hotel Matilda. Hotel Matilda and Rosewood San Miguel de Allende are the festival’s lead sponsors and organizers.
“The Market of Arts & Gastronomy (MAG) will be the grandest and most dynamic food and art festival in Mexico, bringing together an array of high-profile participants including leading chefs, hotels, restaurants, food and spirits companies, wineries, artists, major media and others,” said Mr. James. “And we are currently talking with other cities to hold the festival in a different Mexican destination each year.”
Dozens of events and activities are planned over the four days of the initial MAG festival in San Miguel, starting with a kickoff dinner in Moxi at Hotel Matilda with internationally aclaimed Mexican chef Enrique Olvera. Among the events and activities on the festival agenda are:
– Petit Comité Culinary & Art Events: Special, intimate dinners and luncheons will be held at leading restaurants and unique locations in historic San Miguel, with noted chefs cooking and artists exhibiting their works.
– Marché: A grand market of gastronomy, beverages and art in San Miguel’s beautiful Parque Juárez will feature more than 120 booths with food and spirits tastings, art performances and much more.
– Talk: Chefs and artists will share their personal experiences with dynamic demonstrations.
– A ‘Mixology Room’ for enjoying premium and artisanal spirits and liquors, with top Mexican bartenders working their magic.
– Edible Expositions of innovative art works that will be eaten by festival goers.
– Special Tasting Events of tequila, mezcal and beer.
– Trillar: From a word referring to a green coffee bean that has not yet matured or been classified, this will be a platform for emerging chefs to present their creative ideas.
– Casa Cuervo After Party: The main party of the festival where all the chefs, sponsors, festival-goers and press will celebrate the first edition of MAG.
“MAG will be unlike any other food festival,” explained Mr. James. “It will be truly interactive, convivial and intimate – like friends getting together to enjoy fine food, drink and art. The level and number of renowned chefs and artists participating is unprecedented. And it will be set in the captivating and seductive atmosphere of incomparable San Miguel de Allende.”
In addition to Rosewood San Miguel de Allende and Hotel Matilda, the wide range of sponsors and participants includes Cornerstone, Moet & Chandon, Hacienda los Picachos, Casa Armida, Jose Cuervo, the cities of San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, Hennessey, Grupo Expansion (publisher of Quien Magazine, Travel + Leisure, Elle, Aire, Accent and other magazines), Porshe, Casa Dragones, Monte Xanic, Macallan, Glenmorangie, Mezcal Lineal and Casa de Aves.
Many noted chefs will be participating in MAG including Enrique Olvera, Carlos Hannon, Roberto Solis, Paul Bentley, Diego Hernández, Donnie Masterton, Alejandro Ruíz, Rene Reyes Echeverría, Patrick Cros, Eduardo Echeverría, John Gallo, Fernando Trocca, Gabriela Ruíz, Elena Reygadas, Juan Licerio and Oliver Deboise, among others.
Some of the participating artists will be Claudio Limón, Angelo Musco, Ricardo Gonzàlez, Pepe Soho and Luis Fabian Flores, among others.