Chilaquiles is a typical Mexican dish made from cut, fried, or toasted (or natural) tortillas, which are cooked in a spicy sauce that can be red or green depending on the type of chili used and has many regional variations. being able to contain other ingredients such as chicken or beef, just to mention a few.
This popular traditional breakfast dish features lightly fried corn tortillas cut into quarters and topped with green or red salsa (the red is slightly spicier). Scrambled or fried eggs and pulled chicken are usually added on top, as well as cheese and cream. Chilaquiles are often served with a healthy dose of frijoles (refried beans).
Try making your own Chilaquiles! Here is the step-by-step recipe:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 4 dried mutalo chillies (buy online), soaked in 250ml/9fl oz of boiling water
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 clove
- 1 slice of bread
- 4 cooked chicken breasts , shredded (or use Quorn to make it veggie)
- 300g bag salted tortilla chips
- 100g cheddar , grated
- soured cream , to serve
- STEP 1 Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small pan on a low heat. Fry the seeds, garlic and onion for a few mins. Remove the stalks from the chillies, and add another 250ml of water to the soaking liquid. In a food processor or blender, blend the chillies and liquid with the onion mix, cinnamon, clove and the bread until smooth.
- STEP 2 Heat the remaining oil in a mediumsize pan and warm the sauce, stirring non-stop until thick and glossy. Heat the grill while you layer up the tortilla chips and shredded chicken in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the sauce and scatter the cheese on. Grill until the cheese has melted and serve with soured cream.
San Miguel Times