This is the second largest library in Mexico for books in English, also dedicated to enriching the lives of San Miguel students. The labyrinthine building contains a quiet inner courtyard, a magnificently decorated reading room, a theater, and a computer center that offers instruction and wireless internet service.
The San Miguel de Allende Public Library provides educational and cultural activities for the harmonious integration of the community. Its objective is to be a multidisciplinary and inclusive cultural center, to respond to the demand for training, information and recreation to promote prosperity and peace in the community and facilitate free access to knowledge.
The Public Library of San Miguel de Allende is located in the historic center of this beautiful Mexican city. Inaugurated in 1954, the library was originally located inside a small private house. In 1958, the building of a former convent that was used as a municipal garbage dump was restored and the library was finally established in its current location.
Due to the huge community of foreign inhabitants in San Miguel de Allende, the library also has books in Italian, French, and German. Inside the building, there are free computer and internet services, as well as cultural events and classes in painting, languages, guitar, piano, cinema, and theater.
The central courtyard of the building has been converted into a pleasant and quiet space where you can sit down to read or work. Within the site, there is a small cafe and restaurant.
San Miguel Times