San Miguel Allende, Guanajuato.- More than 20,000 people from San Miguel accompanied and received “El Señor de la Columna” the Lord of the Column in the 200th edition of this traditional celebration, which consists in a procession from the Atotonilco sanctuary to the San Juan de Dios temple in downtown SMA.
The pilgrimage traveled 12 kilometers from the sanctuary to this emblematic neighborhood, where thousands of people, including pilgrims and parishioners, lived their faith and commemorated this tradition that dates back to 1823.
The revelation of images on Independencia Avenue had the participation of the Mota brothers band , together with the Children’s Choir of the San Felipe Neri Oratory.
The images were unveiled in the presence of the bishop of the diocese of Celaya, Monsignor Víctor Alejandro Aguilar Ledesma , Father Dante Gabriel Jiménez , as well as the priests Pablo Figueroa of San Antonio de Padua, Josué Rodríguez of the Congregation of the Oratory and Jesús Celestino Cervantes of the Diocese of Cuernavaca.
Rugs in honor of the Lord of the Column dazzle
As a traditional symbol of this event, the snack of colorful rugs were a fundamental part, since from Independencia avenue to the San Juan de Dios neighborhood, these painted sawdust figures were presented, together with rows of confetti and balloons that embellished the streets for this celebration.
For the final stretch of its journey, balloons were released as a symbol of homage to the bicentennial of the bringing of the Lord of the Column, along with prayers to enter the traditional mass.
The Lord of the Column is 2 meters high and weighs 1.2 tons, and the new jubilee bell, it is made of bronze and weighs 200 kilos.
San Miguel Times