More people than ever are ditching the office for the digital nomad life, and Mexico has quickly become one of the world’s top destinations for digital nomads.
While Mexico does not offer a specific digital nomad visa, as many other countries do, Americans and Canadians can stay up to 180 days. Mexico’s welcoming culture, year-round sunny climate, and affordability are some of the reasons why it has become so popular.
But not every destination is ideal for remote work. In general, digital nomads look for amenities, including:
- Fast and reliable WiFi
- Co-working spaces or laptop-friendly cafes
- Vibrant and welcoming local and digital nomad communities
- Accommodation availability
- Access to activities – nature escapes, beaches, museums, nightlife, etc.
Mexico has plenty of options that tick all those boxes.
And San Miguel is consolidating as one of the most important Mexican locations for Digital Nomads.
San Miguel de Allende is a picturesque colonial town in the state of Guanajuato with a foreign population of nearly 20%. The charming historical center is home to beautiful architecture and rich history, as well as funky shops, galleries, and markets. Its recent rise in popularity means that accommodations have become more expensive, but if you book well in advance and plan to stay long-term, you can find more reasonable prices.
- Average cost of living for a digital nomad in San MIguel: $3,251 USD/month
- WiFi speeds: 47.54mbps download, 15.64mbps upload
- Why people love San Miguel: perfect year-round weather, safe place to live, slow pace of life.
San Miguel Times