Maria Doll Doors is a San Miguel de Allende-based art project bringing fun and folly to our infamous doors and our world-renown Otomi-made Maria dolls. While San Miguel de Allende features a huge art scene the Maria doll doors play on a smaller visual scale featuring tiny doors decorated to fit inconspicuously into its surroundings.
The dolls and doors are a great way to explore the town and enjoy terrific services from food to horseback riding along the way!
Following is a listing of where you can find the Maria Doll Doors all over town. Enjoy a scavenger hunt with pals and be sure to tag your images at #JosephTooneTours (also on FaceBook)!
- Dr. Aline specializes in pet nutrition in Guadalupe and is favored by all the Maria doll’s pets. Note the fish out of water and dress wearing chihuahua!
- When not at their best, the Maria dolls know to go to Dr. Ricardo Gordillo on Hidalgo.
- Mirroring the Gombo’s doors, Maria enjoys a pictured small version of the chiles en nogada Gombo’s is infamous for.
- Swing into the restaurant, Muro’s, in Obraje for their great breakfast! The only Maria doll on a swing and features a rare screen door.
- Sometime folks mail me images and my favorite to date is Maria at the US consulate photographed in front of a miniature of the Parroquia’s door.
- The best tortas in town are at Torta Mundo on Umaran just off the corner with Zacateros. So good they got both Maria and Frida to display great tortas!
- Maria enjoys 2×1 drinks at Hank’s and doesn’t miss Jose since there are so many men around!
- The most charming sisters to roam the Earth since there were Gabors run Casa Azul, new studio apartments for rent in Colonia Independencia. The Maria doll adored the views and prices so much she colored her hair blue to match the building!
- The Maria Doll Doors project visited Dawn Gaskill’s exciting studio where she and her door fit right it!
- The Maria doll working at Martha’s ever-popular San Miguel de Allende shoes selling her own, Barbie-sized, shoes! The shoe shop is on Relox just down from the intersection with Mesones.
- The Maria Doll Door project at FernTrin bakery on Animas, best bakery in town making killer Red Velvet cupcakes!
- My painter pal’s Maria Doll Door mimics her xmas-light festooned altar to her namesake being opened by her black and white cat. I leave surprises in her fridge whenever at her home.
- The Otomi-made Maria doll with an organic door and meal enjoys the food at Via Organica in colonia Guadalupe!
- The shop by the bridge on Aurora that hand makes clever interpretations of the Maria doll. The doll is mimicking the mural with a pint sized door and humming bird.
- A Maria doll selling chocolates at Raoul’s shop on Jesus, the best sweets in town in any size!
- Maria gets her teeth cleaned by Dr. Miriam at her office just off of Parque Juarez.
- Enjoy a fun filly with Beth’s Leisurely Country Horseback Riding. A rare Maria in the stable is featured wearing slacks.
- When sore from so much horseback riding, the Maria doll and door head to Dr. Mike’s in San Antonio to straighten her muscles out.
- Reward yourself with the best pizza in town at Joe’s Pizza Guy.
- In the market for a house with doors bigger than Maria’s? Be sure to consult with Greg Gunter.
Joseph Toone is the Historical Society’s short-story award winning author of the SMA Secrets book series. All books in the series are Amazon bestsellers in Mexican Travel and Holidays. Toone is SMA’s expert and TripAdvisor’s top ranked historical tour guide telling the stories behind what we do in today’s SMA. Visit HistoryAndCultureWalkingTours.com, and JosephTooneTours.com.